Tant's Mill location

Tant's Mill location

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 pm

My great-grandfather Alexander Tant was a grist mill operator and shoe cobbler who arrived in the Lawrenceville area about 1884. He was born in the Burnt Hickory community in Paulding Co. abt 1863. He married Caroline Elizabeth Tillerson 12/23/1883 in Floyd Co. GA. Caroline was a Gwinnett County native, b. ca. 1859 at Hog Mountain, daughter of Spencer Tillerson and Nancy Azalee Holman. My grandmother, Katie Azalee Tant Bailey, was born at Lawrenceville 8/19/1885, and all of her siblings were born there. Alex Tant ran a grist mill somewhere in the Lawrenceville area. In the off-season when the mill was not grinding much, he worked as a cobbler. He died 3/16/1895 from hypothermia and pneumonia after getting wet and chilled making repairs to the dam and spillway at the mill. He is buried at Fairview Presbyterian Church, only marked Tant grave in Gwinnett County. I think the marker was put up some time after his death--it has his name as "Eleck" Tant--but he name was Alexander William Tant and he went by Alex. The marker gives his year of birth as 1870--however, he is 17 years old on the 1880 census of Paulding co. so the 1863 birth year is more likely and more consistent with the 1883 marriage date.

Does anybody know where Tant's Mill was, what creek it was on, and whether there is anything left at the mill site, such as remains of the foundation, dam, etc.
Lamar Wadsworth

Return to General