Fowler general Shoe photos

Identifying the people and places in old photos on the website

Fowler general Shoe photos

Postby msimard » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Does anyone know what the woman in the lower left of this pic is doing? She appears to be posing like a mermaid but this is on 20 in front of a factory.

These are some fascinating pics, thank you all for putting them up! I especially like industrial ones. I always wondered where this mythical General Shoe building was located and realized it was across the street from where I started my own business in the 90s.

(not sure if link works, it's Fowler-652.jpg, http://www.gwinnetths.org/photo-f.asp?idnum=575)
msimard

Re: Fowler general Shoe photos

Postby msimard » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:32 am

00000527_tif100.jpg
00000527_tif100.jpg (230.72 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
Given the other beach and pool pics in this collection, I'm going to assume this is an artifact from developing.

In researching the history of this building I came across this from an 1854 book, a paragraph devoted to Gwinnett and mentioning the Lawrenceville Manufacturing Company.
msimard

Postby ghsweb » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 am

We'll know if it was an artifact once we find and scan the negative for this image.

We have that book in the archives. Here is another one by the same author:
http://www.gwinnetths.org/dande.asp?idnum=72
ghsweb
Site Admin

Postby msimard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:19 am

This is an impressive historical society!
Are there any documents relating to the mill that are still to be scanned?
I've gone through the Cornell MOA archives, most references to Lawrenceville are found in the War of the Rebellion reports.

I looked for references to the mill being burned by Union troops, I'm partially skeptical about that claim even though it fits with the image of the Atlanta campaign.
Sherman's standing orders stated to only destroy property in areas where his army was attacked. The archived reports imply the Lawrenceville area offered no resistance.
If a commander ordered the burning of the mill when no attacks against his forces occurred, it would go against Sherman's orders.
msimard

Postby ghsweb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm not aware of any other documents related to the mill other than the 1864 Tax Digest which is already online in the Members' Section.

As far as I know Lawrenceville saw two cavalry raids. The second is mentioned in OR when they came through Trickum's Crossroads on the way up the Stone Mountain Road. However, other than some local militia resistance, I don't believe there was much fighting and I think it was mostly crops/livestock they were after.
ghsweb
Site Admin

Return to Mystery Photos