McGinnis Ferry

Discussions and queries about families

McGinnis Ferry

Postby Mike.McGinnis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Does anyone know exactly where the McGinnis Ferry crossed the Chatahoochee River? Or where James and Leah McGinnis' homesite was? I'm not local to the area, but from what I've read, it should be somewhere between the McGinnis Ferry Rd crossing, and the Rogers Bridge Rd crossing. If anyone is familiar with this area, could you please contact me.

Thanks,
Mike McGinnis
(Me<Eldon<Leo<Robert<Thomas<James<James & Leah)
Mike.McGinnis

Re: McGinnis Ferry

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:40 am

When did they live in the area? I might be able to find the land lot in the 1860, 61, 64, or 88 Tax Digests.
Jim

Postby Mike.McGinnis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:18 am

According to this, it would have been around 1820:

"Gwinnett County was formed by an act of the Georgia Legislature in the year 1818, possibly before this date, but probably after. A ferry was established on the Chattahoochee River about two miles west of what is now Suwanee. A man by the name of McGinnis, his given name or initials are unknown, built the ferry boat and operated the ferry. The ferry and the road it served acquired his name, thus the McGinnis Ferry and the McGinnis Ferry Road were born."

(http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/ednastrick ... elton.html)
Mike.McGinnis

Postby Mike.McGinnis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm

I think the source where I was getting my information has confused James Sr & Jr.

James Monroe McGinnis Sr. would've been the one who originally settled in Gwinnett sometime around 1818, and established/operated the ferry. His wife's name was Elizabeth Williams McGinnis. Their son, James Jr was born in 1799, so would've been in his early 20's and certainly helped with the operation of the ferry.

These families show on the Federal census for Gwinnewtt county, GA in 1820, 1830, & 1840. By 1850, James Sr and Elizabeth McGinnis had both passed away, and James Jr had moved his family to Bartow county. Some of his other siblings remained in Gwinnett, and continued to operate the ferry for many more years to come.
Mike.McGinnis

Postby tpruitt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:39 am

Mike, contact me and i can give you info re the McGinniss' and Pruitt's
tpruitt

Postby Mike.McGinnis » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 am

I can't seem to find where you can directly contact a user outside of just posting a reply to the forum. There's a tab on your user panel that says contact Tpruitt, but there's no email or phone number associated with it. Please email me at: Michael.R.McGinnis@gmail.com
Mike.McGinnis

Postby ghsweb » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:02 am

Mike,
You should be able to click on the envelope on the right side of the message under "posts" and "joined" (I'm logged in as an administrator so I'm not sure how it looks to the user). If that doesn't work then email me website@GwinnettHS.org and I'll make sure he gets the message.
ghsweb
Site Admin

Postby JMcGinnis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 pm

I believe the original owner of the McGinnis Ferry was my 4x's great grandfather, James McGinnis, and would be interested in any additional information or resources anyone might know of about the Ferry or the McGinnis Family.

I've been going through my father's geneology papers trying to organize them. He passed away in 2013 and I do not have sources for a lot of his material. He was not computer literate so I have reams and ream of paper to go through.

I have verified lineage going back several generations, but trying to connect all the sources. My line goes back from me as follows:

(F) Eugene F. McGinnis, 1927-2013
(GF) Sim T. McGinnis, 1890-1938
(GGF) John William McGinnis, 1855-1929
(GGGF) Nathaniel C. McGinnis, 1825-1899
(GGGGF) John T. McGinnis, 1792-1880
(GGGGGF) James McGinnis, 1758-1839
(GGGGGGF) William S. McGinnis, 1720-1761

Both my grand father Sim and Great-grandfather John William are buried in Black's Creek Baptist Church near Commerce, GA.

I found a typed paper in my father's files on the James McGinnis believed to be my 4th great grandfather. However, I have no sourced references for it. It states that James McGinnis married an Elizabeth Williams about 1780. It also states "James owned a large amount of property in the newly acquired Indian lands. He built and operated a ferry in the Shake Rag community, southeast of the city of Cumming (Forsyth County), GA". It goes on to mention that during the March 1846 term of the Superior Court of Gwinnett County, James McGinnis Jr,/ and Stephen McGinnis filed a law-suit against their brother John McGinnis over the division of their father's estate. In the court documents, all the names of the heirs of James McGinnis were included (as listed below):
William McGinnis, b abt 1780
Alexander McGinnis, b abt 1787
Elizabeth McGinnis, b abt 1792
John McGinnis, b abt 1793
James McGinnis, Jr., b abt 1794
Keizah McGinnis, b abt 1800
Stehphen McGinnis, b abt 1802
Nancy McGinnis
Winnie McGinnis
Margaret McGinnis

Appreciate any guidance provided!
JMcGinnis